My spice cabinet was in desperate need of organization. It had gotten to the point that I couldn't even see what anything was and every time I wanted to use a spice I had to take everything else out too. It was driving me crazy so I intervened; now reaching for my spices is no longer irritating! In case I'm not the only one with a messy spice cabinet, here are some tips to a user-friendly spice stash:
1. Don't buy a pre-filled spice carousel/rack. You might not even use all of the spices on it, it will take up a bunch of room on your countertop, and you don't know how long those spices have been sitting in that box (ick!).
2. Utilize all of the space you have. I use these magnetic spice tins that stack on top of each other so I can fit all of my spices into my tiny cabinet. I like having most of my spices in uniform containers, and I also like that they're easy to refill.
3. Make sure you're able to see each of your spice jars or containers. Jillian inspired me to get this non-skid turntable, and now I can actually see what's in my cabinet! I got the size that fits in my cabinet and is still able to spin, but also leaves a little room on the side for other things.
4. Clearly label your spices. I printed these labels onto adhesive paper and stuck them on my tins. With a quick glance I can see what I need to grab. I also organized my spices alphabetically so I would know exactly where each one was. It might be more helpful for you to organize them by which spices you use most frequently.
5. Remove doubles and store them somewhere else. I had back-ups of several different spices that were just cluttering my cabinet. I made sure all of my tins were filled and then stuck my extras in the pantry where they're not in the way.
I hope these ideas help get you started on a more organized spice cabinet!